Sunday, June 12, 2011

Pop a Pomelo!

I can't believe how quickly the summer is flying by. It is already mid-June and I feel like I just came back from winter vacation. One of my favorite things about summer is the abundance of fresh fruit, specifically my favorites, cherries and berries. Yet, summer is also a time to relax, and in my case, experiment with new recipes and foods.

This week, it was my husband who was exposed to the new "basketball" found on the kitchen counter. The "basketball", as he called it, is actually a pomelo- a large fruit resembling a grapefruit in both taste and texture. It is extremely large, and in the nutrition world, would be considered a few fruit servings. Typically grown in Eastern Asian countries, the pomelo is now grown in California.

After peeling away the outer layer, there is another thin layer of skin that needs to be taken off, otherwise it will be extremely bitter when eaten. My husband was fascinated with the size of the pomelo, so we decided to compare it to other fruits. The only citrus fruit available in our fridge was a lime. While not the best comparison, it still showed the size of this sweet, juicy, and slighly tangy fruit.

A whole pomelo with a slice of lime

Comparing a slice of lime with a slice of pomelo

As a first-timer, my husband thought it tasted exactly like a grapefruit. I think it is less bitter, and if chosen well, sweet and juicy. Try one for yourself and let me know what you think!



No comments :

Post a Comment

Popular Posts